We're all born a Witch. We're all born into magic. It's taken from us as we grow up. - Madeline L'Engle
hey there makegame pals!
the theme for this month's pageant is: "magic is real"
magic has been incorporated into games for decades. but it's most often in a way that borrows from the tabletop games like dungeons & dragons -- as just another means of inflicting damage. magic in videogames is both spectacular and mundane. fireballs are boring.
magic is the power to change our circumstances, to invoke the world we want to inhabit. magic is a little evening ritual, the charms we carry to protect us, the spaces and times we invest with meaning. magic is a response to the destructive, crushing weight of oppression. magic is spectacular and mundane, but not in the way it's depicted in games.
make a game about magic that veers away from the usual treatments of magic in games.
- magic that allows the player to change & break the world (Corrypt)
- a game based on the tarot or some other game-like form of fortune/storytelling
- a game that's a ritual or spell in itself (incantation)
- focus on an object or place that feels powerful & important to you
- a game about fireballs that's actually interesting somehow
please take care in any treatment of rituals, symbols, etc. that don't belong to your cultural experience.
starts on september 1st 2014, ends on september 31st.
if you're participating, make a new topic in the 'pageants' category with the title "[SPELLS] your game title." when you're done, add [DONE] to the end of the topic name.
have fun, and if you have any questions or need help, feel free to post in this thread!